Sunday, May 27, 2012

Use of Props In Class or Practice

Today I had a conversation with several students about using props during class.  Some of my students (newbies who've never done yoga before) don't want to bother with them and at times refuse to purchase them as part of their required equipment.  Minimally in my classes we need 
  • (1) yoga foam block
  • (1) six foot strap / d-ring or cinch
  • (1) yoga sticky mat
  • (1) stiff blanket 
The reason we use props is because everyone in every class has a different body, different abilities, limitations, flexibility levels, balance issues, or strengths.  The props help the student with limitations or specific body issues do the poses in the most beneficial way.  Props assist the person to be able to do a version of the pose to the best of their ability.  Students never have to "push" deeper than they are able to in a pose and perhaps get injured trying. The use of props starts to build the confidence level which encourages students to keep practicing.  Props enable the student to experience the wonderful benefits that come from opening and strengthening congested or underused areas of the body. 

No one should ever feel like they aren't good enough if they use props.  Yoga isn't a competition between teacher and student, or student and other students.  It's about tapping into your own potential and becoming more aware your own possibilities.  Possibilities are limitless if you stick to it and keep working on the mat.  My responsibility as an instructor is to prevent students from being injured by giving clear instructions and showing them how to use props properly.

Most of my students (except my SLCC students) are over age 40, and my seniors are all the way up to 80+.  As we age, we lose range of motion, strength, balance, and flexibility.  Regaining these aspects of our bodies is a challenging process.  The use of props enables those of us who are older to do yoga at our own level.  We don't have to keep up with the youngsters in those boot camp classes who are so full of energy and have super flexiblility.  Sometimes we unknowingly wander into a yoga class full of these young people and the class is so demanding that we never go back because we can't keep up! We've then and there decided "I can't do this, it's too hard for me".  This is sad, because if this has happened to you, you've simply gone to the wrong class.  Look around until you find one that is right for you.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of practice!  If we go home after class and don't practice in between classes, we are missing out on a whole new way of looking at the world; physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.  Practice heightens our awareness to a whole new level.  I tell my students repeatedly, "When you don't want to do it (practice), you need it the most!"  My long time students will verify this fact. 

Here is a good Yoga Journal  http://www.yogajournal.com/for_teachers/2200?print=1 article discussing the use of props. 

SOME TYPICAL USES FOR YOGA PROPS



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:42 PM

    Thanks for the invitation! I am SO NEW to Yoga, that I am very interested in reading your thoughts.

    I am in your Wednesday class and wondered if that pillow one of the other students has, would work better than the blanket?

    And we definitely need to get Kerry (the husband I bring with me) a strap. One came with the blocks I purchased, and when we went back to search a few stores, we could not find a *single* strap for sale. Granted, we were going to Walmart, Shopko... but we even tried REI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:44 PM

    I also believe just from the few times I have done Yoga, it's importance as we grow older cannot be emphasized enough. To think, sitting on the floor and raising my hands above my head is actually not as easy as it sounds. My body is telling me something. I need this! :)

    ReplyDelete